Columbia Valley & East Kootenay
- This event has passed.
The Headbanger Festival
Nov 3, 2017 - Nov 5, 2017| $10 - $50
The Headbanger Festival? It’s a celebration of the relationship that we have with the Kootenay National Park Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep. It’s an annual opportunity to learn about our amazing 4-footed neighbors in interactive workshops, presentations … and just maybe, we will be able to get close to them because at this time of the year, they are all around us – on lawns, on golf courses, at the roadsides, crossing the highway, trotting down the community streets.
The Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep have been as much a part of the Village of Radium Hot Springs as are the Rocky Mountains – for decades and likely much longer than that. The headbangers, as they are fondly called, are a tourist attraction, drawing countless visitors each year to the community.
We look forward to their annual descent from the higher elevations to their winter campground in the village each autumn. We watch them cross the highway, bringing with them the latest crop of gangly youngsters. We may complain about their munching the grass on our lawns and the leaves from our trees and they are most certainly hazardous to drivers on the roads, but we can’t help but be fascinated by this yearly return, like clockwork, to our village.
One of the most amazing events to watch is the annual rut in which the rams compete for the ewes by challenging each other to butting contests. They charge one another at more than 20 km an hour, banging their heads together with a cracking noise that can often be heard a mile away.
The Headbanger Festival is a weekend-long celebration of this annual event. It’s a fun event with hands-on, interactive workshops and unique presentations … and … we get to be up close and personal with the Bighorn sheep at the same time!
THE 2017 BIGHORN FESTIVAL SCHEDULE
Friday, November 3
- 7:00 – 9:00 pm – Social evening to meet the participants and presenters. Live entertainment by Swanee and Friends
Saturday, November 4
- 9:00 to 9:45 am – Morning Registration
- 10:00 am to 12:00 pm – ‘Bighorn Experience’ – presenter Kent Kebe
- 10:00 am to 2:45 pm – Photography workshop – presenter Dax Justin hosts a Smartphone Photography Workshop! You’ll learn the top tips on using your smartphone for photography.
- 12:00 to 1:00 pm – Group lunch
- 1:15 to 2:30 pm – ‘Urban Wildlife’ – presenter Thea Rodgers
- 2:45 to 4;30 pm – ‘The Importance of Fire’ – presenter Parks Canada
- 3:00 to 5:00 pm – ‘Bighorn Experience’ – presenter Kent Kebe
- 5:00 to 6;30 pm – Break time to explore Radium and look for the bighorn sheep
- 6:30 to 10:00 pm – Dinner with keynote speaker Kevin Van Tighem
- Presentation of photography from morning photography workshop by Dax Justin
Sunday, November 5
- 9:30 to 11:30 am – ‘Legends of the Forest’ – Darcee O’Hearn
- 9:30 am to 12:00 pm – Interactive family art – Black Star Studios
- 12:30 to 2:00 pm – Interpretive Hikes
- Photography workshop – $30
- Keynote dinner (adults) – $60
- Keynote dinner (children 6-12 yrs) – $30
- Adult entire Event (excluding photo workwhop) – $75
- Child entire event (excluding photo workshop) – $40
- Individual events (excluding photo workshop) – $15
For more information about the presenters, go to: http://www.radiumhotsprings.com/listing/headbanger-festival/
For further information contact:
Tourism Radium Hot Springs Association