Columbia Valley & East Kootenay
- This event has passed.
Wildsight hosts author Briony Penn book event
Sep 29, 2016 7:00 pm - Oct 1, 2016 5:00 pm| Free
Wildsight is hosting this Briony Penn book event with Salt Spring Island author and professor Briony Penn, recent winner of the Roderick Haig-Brown Regional BC Book Prize. On Friday evening, she will read from her biographical tribute to Ian McTaggart Cowan, ‘The Real Thing: The Natural History of Ian McTaggart Cowan.’
Ian McTaggart Cowan (1910–2010) was known as the “father of Canadian ecology” for many reasons. He:
- revolutionized the way we understand the natural world
- addressed the issues of climate change and endangered species before anyone had drawn attention to them
- founded the first wildlife department in a Canadian university
- was at the forefront of nature-themed television shows, inspiring David Suzuki’s popular show, The Nature of Things
- helped to lead wildlife conservation and environmental education in Canada’s national parks
Attendees at the Thursday evening event will enjoy a journey through the mountainous regions of British Columbia, characters such as muzzled scientists, activist trappers and women naturalists. Listen to excerpts from the book and see old photos and clips from his The Web of Life television shows.
On Saturday afternoon from 3 to 5 PM, Briony will lead a nature walk at Lake Enid. Learn how you can use journaling as a way to connect with nature. Meet at the Wilmer Community Hall to car-pool.
For more information about this 2-part event, send an email to ac.th1511007121gisdl1511007121iw@mi1511007121k1511007121
Share this with your friends!