Columbia Valley Events Calendar
Rotary Club of Invermerehttp://invermererotary.org
The Rotary Club of Invermere is a grass-roots service club whose members are business professionals and community leaders, volunteering their time, talent and resources to serve the community. Although a significant part of the larger Rotary International Organization with over 1.2 million members worldwide, the Invermere club is actively engaged in our community, seeking to identify its needs and striving to leverage its resources to help find resolutions.
The club was formed in 1977 and in the beginning, was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Kimberley. A year later the Rotary Club of Invermere was officially given its charter as a member club of Rotary International with 23 members and its first president, Ron Ede. One of the first women to be admitted into the membership was Winnifred Weir, long-time editor of The Valley Echo
Their motto is “Service Above Self” and the members have fun while serving the community and the world with meaningful projects such as:
- Sponsorship of the Golden Club in 1984 and the Radium Sunrise club in 2003
- A major fundraiser since 1996 is the annual “Loop the Lake” event
- Public toilets (1990)
- A gazebo for Columbia House (1995)
- A fire-proof vault for the Windermere Valley Historical Society Museum (1996)
- A Memorial Wall – Columbarium at the Windermere Cemetery (1997)
- Collaboration with the District of Invermere to construct Mt. Nelson Athletic Park (2009)
- Splash & Spray Park at Kinsmen Beach (2014)
Rotarians also serve the community with ongoing projects such as the annual Christmas dinner for Seniors, a youth international student exchange, adventures programs, leadership camps, bursaries, ‘Citizen of the Year’ and the Valley Appreciation Day.
The Rotary Club of Invermere meets every Wednesday at 11:45 AM in their meeting room at the Invermere Curling Club, 509 13th Street, Invermere. Over lunch, the 31 current members discuss current projects, plan new ones and meet with other business people.
- There were no results found.