Columbia Valley & East Kootenay
- This event has passed.
Farmers Markets in East Kootenay
Apr 28, 2018 - Sep 8, 2018| Free
Farmers Markets in East Kootenay are huge weekly attractions during the summer months, part of a tradition in rural BC for more than a century. No matter how small or large they might be, they draw enthusiastic crowds.
Visitors to farmers markets come for the season’s best home-grown fruits, vegetables and herbs which are beautifully displayed in colorful stalls, alongside local meats, eggs, home-baked breads, buns, cakes, jams, pickles, and even delicious local honey. Some markets sell farm-fresh eggs and locally-produced meats and cheeses as well.
Often, the vendors will be offering a sample to tempt your taste buds – like perhaps a cracker topped with a spoonful of homemade hot pepper jelly or a dollop of hummus on a crisp pita chip. You can take home a bunch of flowers, cut fresh while the dew was still on the garden, maybe a houseplant or a garden sculpture.
Farmers markets offer much more, though. You can spend a delightful hour or two browsing the displays of paintings, photography, hand-made soaps and lotions, sewing, knitting, ceramics, woodworking, glassware and more. Stop and chat with the artists and artisans and find that perfect treasure to take home with you.
Tap your feet to the lively melodies of local musicians, grab a cup of locally-roasted coffee, visit with old friends and make some new ones. It’s a fun place to be and a truly great summer tradition.
As dates come in for the 2018 East Kootenay farmers markets, we will update the list below:
- Invermere Farmers and Artists Market is in the traditional downtown location on Main Street (7th Ave) Saturdays from June 16 to September 8 (9am – 1pm)
- Invermere’s Saturday Morning Market Place, a complement to the Invermere Farmers and Artists Market, can be found in front of the Legion building on Saturdays from June 16 to September 8 (9am -1pm)
- Invermere is also the location of the Agri Park Farmers Market, run by the Windermere District Farmers Association (WDFI). You’ll find it open for business Wednesdays from June 27 to August 29 at the crossroad near Copper Point golf course right beside the Town and Country Feed Store and the Windermere Saddle Club (5 pm – 7:30 pm)
- Radium Hot Springs has the traditional Market on Main, which is combined with Music on Main, giving a festive air to the Visitor Centre location on Main Street West. Fridays from June 23 to August 31, 2017 (4pm – 9pm) (Note: dates for 2018 not yet released)
- Fairmont Hot Springs Farmers and Artisans Market is in the Fairmont Village Mall parking area. You can see it from the highway. Sundays from 10am – 2pm, beginning on July 1.
A pleasant drive north or south on Hwy. 93/95 will take you to several other weekly East Kootenay farmers markets:
- Golden Spirit Square Market on the north end of the Kicking Horse pedestrian bridge, from July 8 to August 26, 2017 (10am – 3pm) (note: July 1 market is on the street in downtown Golden) (Note: dates for 2018 not yet released. Stay tuned)
- Golden Wednesday Farmers Market is at Hwy 95 and 5th , (CP Rail parking lot), Wednesdays from June 13 to September 26 (12 – 5pm)
- Kimberley Farmers Market is held on Howard St. between Kimberley and Deer Park Avenues. Thursdays from June 21 to September 20 (5 – 7:30pm)
- Cranbrook Spring Market at the Ktunaxa Gym (220 Cranbrook St. N) runs from April 28 to June 9
- Cranbrook Outdoor Farmers Market (see website) is on 10th Avenue South every Saturday from June 23 to August 25 (9am-1pm)
- Fernie Mountain Market (see website) joins the city’s Canada Day celebration at the Fernie Aquatic Centre at noon on July 1, then takes place on Sundays at Rotary Park, just off Hwy.#3, until September 16 (10am – 2pm)
- Sparwood Farmers Market in Titan Park is open every Friday afternoon during the summer months during July and until mid-September (4 – 7pm)
Take the whole family to one of the East Kootenay’s wonderful farmers markets. It’s an adventure and there’s definitely something to make everyone happy.